Thursday, July 29, 2010

Eat...Pray...Live!

A little over a year ago I was counting down the days until I could walk like a normal person again. I had broken my ankle in late May -- a break that required surgery, screws, a metal plates and a seven week span where I could not put any weight on my right leg. During these seven weeks a delusion started growing in my mind. I thought that after seven weeks my ankle would be back to normal...wrong! I now walked with a sore, swollen, stiff ankle and after a year it still is not back to 'normal'.

My ankle also has two matching scars, one of which is shown in the photo. But it is another medical crisis that has left many unique scars which I am sometimes embarrassed to share. Six and a half years ago I was diagnosed with a major medical illness. As a formerly healthy person I was now thrust into world of finding doctors, getting treatment, insurance, short-term disability, losing my job, etc. It was very stressful and like many I found solace in food. To compound this problem the doctor prescribed medication that was notorious for causing weight gain and diabetes.

After three years I had gained 50 pounds. After another two years I had gained 50 more. When I was finally able to stand on two feet after my ankle injury, I stepped on the scale to see that I was 107 pounds heavier than when I was initially diagnosed in January 2004. This scar is obvious, yet hard to talk about. It requires more than cocoa butter and vitamin E. But I am pleased to say, that I things are looking up. In the past year I have dropped 37 pounds. Last year I was diagnosed as a borderline diabetic and I am pleased to report that I am doing very well at managing this!

I have decided to blog more about my fitness journey...I should call it eat...pray...live!

No comments:

Post a Comment